My favorite running pic!

My favorite running pic!
The Buffalo Creek Half

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The athlete in me

I would typically not consider myself an athlete. I never have. Growing up, I was a chubby girl. I didn't do much as far as athletic activities. I played softball around 7th grade or so, but not seriously. Then I played volleyball in high school. I went to a volleyball camp and really learned to love the game, the problem was, I wasn't great at it. I was intimidated by it. But I played through high school. In college, I played flag football and loved it. I quarterbacked some of the time. Still I would not consider myself an athlete. I had often wanted to run. Some friends of mine invited me to go on a run with them around campus. One time around was about enough. I hated it! It was so hard and man was I out of breath and out of shape. I did play some recreational softball on a team where I worked. I loved it. Again, I wasn't great at it, but I loved it! And the last 2 years, I have played on our church softball team. The more I play, the more confident I get. And, of course, I run. As you know, I began running in January 2011 with the intention of completing a 5K. I have since run a 2K, 4 5Ks, a 10K and 2 half marathons. Who would think? I can't believe it myself. I'm not great at it. It's hard for me. I watch people who can run 7,8,9 minute miles and think holy cow...I'll never do that! But I run and I give it my all. My husband, Kip, said something to me when I came home from the Pittsburgh half marathon. It was a tough, challenging run for me with the heat. But I was determined to finish. When I walked in the door, he hugged me and said "don't ever say you're not an athlete again". He told me that what I did today was truly athletic and that I was an athlete. Me...an athlete! Can you believe it? Those words from him touched me and I will never forget them or the way he said it. I do have an athlete in me. I just have to work a little harder to see it. But it's there. I'm an athlete!

No comments:

Post a Comment