My favorite running pic!

My favorite running pic!
The Buffalo Creek Half

Thursday, July 5, 2012

5 mile road race post-race thoughts...

About 2 weeks ago, Brady and I ran in the Butler Road Race.  It's a 5 mile race that is held at the end of June.  There is also a 2K race, which we have run several times.  But this year, I knew I could run the 5 miles and as soon as I mentioned it, Brady said he wanted to run the 5 miles too.

As I talked about in a previous blog, Brady is really athletic.  So he didn't need all that much training.  He plays sports in nearly every season keeping him in great shape.  We did go out running several times together.  We made it to just over 4.2 miles on the last long run before the race.  Our typical pace was just over a 10:30 mile. 

I asked him what his thoughts were on the race.  Did he know what his goal was?  He said he really just wanted to finish the race and maybe come in under 1 hour.  I told him that was fair and I could get him there.  We just had to be sure to pace ourselves so we didn't burn out in the end.  I bought him some new running shoes and a SPIbelt.  He really needed the SPIbelt.  His arms are sooooo skinny that an armband for his ipod doesn't stay up.  Before we knew it, it was the day of the race.

At the starting line, Kip,  Gianna and Nick cheered us on.  They were all running the 2K.  And we began...running the downhill.  That's the best part of the race!  At mile 1, we were running about a 9:30/mile.  I figured that, as we ran about 1/3 downhill.  Mile 2, we had a good 10 min/mile pace going.  Mile 3, we were just under 31 min.  Somehow, we lost time between mile 3 and 4...not sure how.  But at mile 4, we were about 41:30.  I figured that with the hill to the finish, we probably would be between 52-53 minutes.  That was great!  We did better than that!  We came in at 51:15!!  What a fabulous race for us!

I couldn't be more proud of him!  He hung in there, we talked, we kept pace and we enjoyed ourselves!  Not to mention, we blew away his goal of finishing under an hour!  Woo-hoo! 

Last year, I ran a 10K in November.  I loved it!  I think I'll let Brady join me in that race.  After this 5 mile race, there is NO doubting that he can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment