My favorite running pic!

My favorite running pic!
The Buffalo Creek Half

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Getting back into the distance groove

So, after the Pittsburgh half in May which pretty much defeated me, I didn't know how I would feel about running distance again.  It took everything I had to finish that race because of how bad I felt and really contemplated not ever running a half again.  Several weeks went by of being out of the groove and not really having a good time on the clock or on fun!  But something click recently...maybe it was the Butler Road Race.  I don't know.  But I realize that I can do it!  I can!  I am not going to let one race defeat me!

I met a friend on Saturday for a trail run.  Linda is a friend of my other running buddies...the ones who inspired me to run, Joanne and Beth.  I had never met her (but heard lots about her) until we met on the day I ran my first half.  She was running the 8 mile run that day, so we ran the first 8 together. That was in March.  I loved running with her.  Our paces were pretty comparable and we had some nice conversation.  Linda and I had planned on running the Pittsburgh half together, but she was injured and couldn't run.  But she's back!

We ran on Saturday.  Our plan was to do 5 or 6 miles on the trail.  We started out slow, but funny at about 1/2 way to 6 miles, we got into a groove.  Our pace picked up and it seemed like we were at ease.  I learned a lot about Linda on Saturday and realized even more that we are perfect running partners.   It did rain on us almost the entire time, but we didn't care.  It actually felt good.  And when we reached 6, we decided to keep going and we did 7!  It was great!  I think we both could've kept going and I look forward to the next time we run.

That 7 miles on Saturday reassured me that I can certainly run another 1/2!  I have already signed up for one in October and there will be another one that I am signing up for today that is in September.  As far as running Pittsburgh again, well, I have to think about that.  If I do, it will be a mental race for me more than a physical one.  But I have almost a year to think about it.  Until then, bring on the half training!  I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment