My favorite running pic!

My favorite running pic!
The Buffalo Creek Half

Friday, May 16, 2014

Alive and still running...barely!

I've been met with some challenges in the past year or so.  I was training for the 2013 Pittsburgh marathon and was doing so well.  Hit 20 miles several times but then all was shattered.  I injured my IT band and kept running.  And it kept getting worse and worse until walking was painful.  By the time I saw my PT, as hard as we worked, there was no way I could run the marathon.  Devastated!  I cried so many tears over that.  Training for so hard and not running, watching your friends run it without you...it was hard!

But I worked at getting my IT better and finally was able to run again.  I did several 5ks over the summer and even broke 30min on one of them.  I'm back!  Well, I thought so, but I seemed to lose some motivation.  Maybe it was because I didn't have a race I was training for at the time.  I don't know.

I was asked to run in the relay of the Pittsburgh marathon on a May 4 of this year.  I would be running the 4th leg...6.1 miles total.  I didn't train as well as I could have as a month before the race I got sick and ended up with what they thought was the flu and then bronchitis.  But I went and vowed to do my best.  Race day, my run started great, but then, my stomach was not happy!  Now I have never had stomach issues on a race nor have I ever had to use a porta potty during a half, let alone 6 miles.  But I had to stop several times.  Ugh!  The pain was crazy.  But I finished.  I believe my pace was 11:11 m/m, even with the stops.  Happy with that!

Not happy to go to the ER the next day because of pain in my right upper abdomen.  To make a long story short, after days of tests, my gall bladder was not functioning the way it should.  Surgery was this past Monday to remove it.  So now I am recovering from that.

I have MCM and the Dopey challenge to train for.  I really could use a break now.   I, mentally, am ready to go out there and train.  If only my body will give me the green light!

No comments:

Post a Comment