My favorite running pic!

My favorite running pic!
The Buffalo Creek Half

Sunday, April 1, 2012

My first half marathon!

I did it!  I completed a half marathon and I truly can't believe it!  I'm here to tell you all about it.

Woke up at 5:30 and I was so nervous my knees were shaking.  Oh my!  Took a look at the weather and it said 41.  I thought ok, I'll wear capris, a running tank and a jacket.  Headed out the door at 6:20 to pick up my friend Beth.  Got to her house and waited a few minutes then went and knocked on the door.  Her hubby answered and said he didn't think she was ready yet.  She set her alarm to pm instead of am and just woke up!  She screamed down to me "I don't want to stress you, but I just woke up.  I have everything layed out and will be ready in a bit."  I told her it was no big deal.  I was just glad to have someone to go down with.

So on our way we went.  Made it there early and found parking, hopped on the shuttle and there we were in the excitement of it all!  Found our other friends, made our bag drop and realized it was VERY cold!  Holy cow was I cold!  Luckily, my experienced running buddy Beth brought garbage bags to put over us to keep warm until the beginning of the race.  Got where we needed to be and waited for the countdown.

Once we started, my nerves disappeared.  Our first mile was VERY slow due to the sheer congestion at the start.  Made it through the first 3.1 no problems.  Our split on that was 33:54.  Then came the first of two 5 mile loops around the lake.  Man, it seemed so long to get around it!  At about mile 7 1/2 or so, Beth stopped to use a portapotty so told me to go ahead and "run like the wind"!  So I kept split at 8.1 was 1:27:44.  Mile 8 and 9 seemed ok, but at mile 10 I realized I had a blister under my right big toe and it hurt every time my foot hit the ground.  Then I could tell on my left foot that a toe nail was digging into another toe.  I guess it balanced me out since now I had pain in both feet!

Mile 11 was a killer.  It was really tough.  I was getting tired.  My legs were sore and it just seemed like I had forever to go yet.  Mile 12 was a little bit better.  I started to remind myself that I was close to the finish and my legs weren't going to give out on me.  I could see that the finish line was close and found my friend and training buddy, Joanne, waiting for me and screaming me on!  I was so happy to see her and gave her a high five as I passed her.  Crossed the finish line in 2:20:48!  I cried before I reached the medals.  I was so overwhelmed that I did it!  Got my medal, hugged and cried to Joanne and then we went to cheer Beth on.  She wasn't too far behind me and I was able to get a great picture of her.

What an accomplishment!  I would not have been able to do this without Joanne and Beth.  I was inspired and encouraged by them for the last year.  They are great running partners, women and friends!  I can't believe I did it!  I finished a half marathon!  WOO-HOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment