My favorite running pic!

My favorite running pic!
The Buffalo Creek Half

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Conquering "the hill"

Today was my regular group run that's held at our local running store.  I always run these long runs with my friend, Joanne (I know I've mentioned her several times before).  The first time I went and ran there, I was shocked at how many hills there were, but one in particular seemed to kick me in the butt!  We'll refer to it as "the hill".  You'll always hit this hill a little over 1 mile from the end of the run.  So, it's when you are exhausted!  And this hill is long! 

I have never been able to run the entire hill.  Joanne always tells me "if you get to the car mailbox, you're 2/3 of the way there" and every time, I quit about there and start walking.  It truly is a tough hill!  UGH!  Today, I conquered that hill.  YES I DID!

We headed out for a 8+ mile run.  We went on a different route because we needed to add a couple of miles from the last we did.  I knew it was going to be hilly.  I've heard everyone talking about it.  They weren't lying.  It was tough.  At mile 3, I felt like it should've been mile 6.  A little after that, Joanne said "this is not for the faint of heart".  She was right.  It took everything I had in me today to complete it. 

About 2 1/2 miles from the end, I started getting a second wind.  I don't know if it was the chomps I was eating that gave me the extra energy or just knowing that we were getting close to the finish, but I definitely could feel something going on.  And then it was time for "the hill".  I actually kept my head down instead of looking straight ahead because I didn't want to know how much more I had left.  I just wanted to keep at it.  I didn't want to fail.  I wanted to conquer it and I did!  The feeling I felt at the top was unreal!  So, so happy!

I couldn't have done it without Joanne.  She motivates me, she inspires me and most of all, she encourages me - every time we run!  She believes in me.  Not to mention, I love to run with her.  We talk the entire time.  And talking certainly makes 8 miles more enjoyable.  As does conquering "the hill"!

No comments:

Post a Comment