My favorite running pic!

My favorite running pic!
The Buffalo Creek Half

Sunday, March 4, 2012

The brutal run

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...right?  I sure hope so!  Yesterday's 10.1 mile run was brutal to say the least.  Really, really tough.  By far, the toughest run I have ever encountered.

I knew it was going to be windy.  And I knew I had 10 miles to run.  What I didn't know was that it would take everything I had NOT to quit.   Got to Up-N-Running at 7:50, as did Joanne, and we were off at 8 am.  I could tell I was tired right off the bat (hours of working fish fry the night before certainly made me extra tired!)...I could tell as we made our way up that first hill.  Let me also make note that this is a VERY hilly route. 

We got about 3 miles in and we started up a decent hill.  As soon as we started, a wind gust was right at our face, pushing us down the hill practically.  Wind gusts were between 40 and 50 mph.  It was crazy!  I felt out of breath, a little nauseous and just plain bad!  I stopped to walk for a few steps.  I just couldn't handle to wind while I was trying to make it up this hill.  I just wanted to tell Joanne I was done and would walk back.  But I didn't.  I stayed the course.

About mile 5, I started to feel much better.  My breathing was good.  My legs were ok.  I thought...ok, I'm halfway there.  Joanne said she was feeling better too.  About mile 7 or so, we had a double hill.  Pretty steep too!  Ughh!  It was tough.  But we did it!  Mile 9, I hit a wall.  Oh my!  I was so tired.  My legs hurt.  I just kept thinking how am I going to make 13.1?  But it was a tough day with the wind and the hills and my exhaustion.  Our time was 1:54 for 10.1.  I thought it would have been much, much worse.  It actually was a respectable time.  It broke down to about an 11:17 mile.  Really not bad considering the circumstances.

So glad I got it done!  So glad I had Joanne!  On to next week...less than 4 weeks until my half!  Woo-hoo!  Hopefully, it won't be so brutal!  And the run didn't kill me...I do feel a little bit stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment