My favorite running pic!

My favorite running pic!
The Buffalo Creek Half

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The meaning to the title

So, when I decided I was going to write a blog, my daughter's first question was what are you going to call it?  I thought about this for quite a while and came up with the current title, "Not So Fast Momma!"  Do you want to know why?  (Even if you don't, I'm going to tell you!)

That title came to me for 2 reasons.  The first is that I am a newbie runner.  Yes, I have been running for about a year now...BUT I am NOT fast!  So there you have it...I am a not so fast momma.  I enjoy runnning.  It gives me time to unwind, unstress and for once in my life, it allows me to do something for me.  We, as moms, are so used to doing everything for everyone else (our husband,  kids, church, school, family, friends, etc) we never seem to take time for us.  I do now.  And I feel great about it.  Even when I go out for an hour to 2 hour run, I don't feel guilty.  I used to, but I don't anymore because I deserve it!

Anyway, getting back to the not so fast part.  I typically run a 10-11 min mile.  Yep...there you have it!  I am not fast.  I have run a 9:05 mile, but that is only when I am running a VERY short distance.  I'm just slow!  I have to accept it.  That's all there is to it.  When I ran my first 10k in November 2011, I finished in 1:04:37.  That was about a 10:25/mile pace.  I was thrilled with that!

Second reason for the title:  I need to slow down in life sometimes.  Although I don't work outside of the house (I'm a stay at home mom), I am constantly volunteering.  Whether at the school, church, scouts, etc.  You name it, I do it!  And I have a hard time saying "no".  But I'm learning.  And one of my goals this year is to slow down.  To not feel obligated to do everything.  That it's ok to say no.  There are plenty of other people to do it, right?

So there you have it.  I hope to share my running accomplishments and struggles (especially as I train for my first 1/2 marathon) and my attempt to slow down.  Hopefully, we can help each other!  Let the day and the blog BEGIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment